Medjugorje is a town located in Bosnia Herzegovina , 26 km from Monstar with a population of 5000 inhabitants. Medjugorje that literally means ‘between the hills’’, is a rural place where we can still see the simple life going on, hills are farmed with grapes and tobacco and the small houses still have chickens and goats in their gardens.
The highest hill formally called Sipovac, in 1933 was named Krizevac (Cross) when the habitants erected a 25 foot Cross on the top of it (520 meters above the sea level), to commemorate the 1900 years after the death and resurrection of Christ. Relicts received from Rome are embedded in the cross bar itself. They include a piece of the Cross, venerated by Christian as a true piece of the Holy Cross.
The Parish of Medjugorje was founded in 1892 , and placed under the protection of St James (patron of pilgrims) , the pastoral care of the parish is confided to the priests of the Herzegovian Franciscan Povince of the Assumption of Mary.
When all it started?
Medjugorje Apparitions started on June 24th, 1981. At about 6 pm, when six young people – Ivanka Ivanković, Mirjana Dragićević, Vicka Ivanković, Ivan Dragićević, Ivan Ivanković and Milka Pavlović, saw on the hill called Crnica, several hundred meters above the place called Podbrdo, a young woman with a child in her arms, who gave them a sign with her hand to get close to Her. Surprised and scared, they did not approach herbut ran away
The next day, June 25th, 1981, at the same time, four of them: Ivanka Ivanković, Mirjana Dragićević, Vicka Ivanković and Ivan Dragićević, felt strongly attracted towards the place where they had seen the person the day before which, they had recognised as Our Lady. Marija Pavlović and Jakov Čolo joined them. The group of Medjugorje visionaries was formed. They prayed and spoke with Our Lady. This is why June 25th is celebrated as the Anniversary of the apparitions. According to the testimony of the visionaries, from that day onwards, they had daily apparitions, together or separately, wherever they were. Milka Pavlović and Ivan Ivanković never saw Our Lady again.
|Was born in 1966, had daily apparitions till May 7, 1985. On that day, confiding to her the last of ten secrets, Our Lady told her that for the rest of her entire life, she will have an apparition once a year on June 25, the anniversary of the apparitions.|
Dragicevic – Soldo
|Was born in 1965, had daily apparitions until December 25, 1982. On the last day of her apparitions, Our Lady told her that for the rest of her entire life she will have an apparition once a year on March 18, her birthday. Since August 2, 1987, on each second day of the month, she also receives an apparition and prays with Our Lady for unbelievers (those who have not yet felt or experienced God’s love).|
||Was born in 1964, still has daily apparitions.|
|Marija Pavlovic – Lunetti
||Was born in 1965, still has daily apparitions. On the 25th of each month Our Lady gives Marija the monthly message meant for the parish and the entire world.|
||Was born in 1965, still has daily apparitions.|
||Was born in 1971, had daily apparitions until September 12, 1998. Our Lady told him that for the rest of his entire life he will have an apparition once a year on Christmas.|
According to Mirjana, during the apparition on December 25, 1982, the Madonna confided the tenth and last secret to her, and she revealed the dates on which the various secrets will come to pass. The Blessed Virgin revealed many aspects of the future to Mirjana, many more up to now than to the other seers.
- Before the visible sign is given to humanity, there will be three warnings to the world. The warnings will be warnings on the earth. Mirjana will witness them. Three days before one of these warnings, she will advise a priest of her choice. Mirjana’s testimony will be a confirmation of the apparitions and an incentive for the conversion of the world. After these warnings, the visible sign will be given for all humanity at the place of the apparitions at Medjugorje. The sign will be given as the testimony of the apparitions and a call back to faith.
- The ninth and tenth secrets are grave matters. They are a chasticement for the sins of the world. The punishment is inevitable because we cannot expect the conversion of the entire world. The chasticement can be mitigated by prayers and penance. It cannot be suppressed. An evil which threatened the world, according to the seventh secret, had been eliminated through prayer and fasting, Mirjana said. For that reason the Blessed Virgin continues to ask for prayer and fasting: “You have forgotten that with prayer and fasting you can ward off wars, suspend natural laws.”
- After the first warning, the others will follow within a rather brief period of time. So it is that people will have time for conversion.
- This time is a period of grace and conversion. After the visible sign, those who are still alive will have little time for conversion. For that reason, the Blessed Virgin calls for urgent conversion and reconciliation.
- The invitation to prayer and penance is destined to ward off evil and war and above all to save souls.
- According to Mirjana, we are close to the events predicted by the Blessed Virgin. Because of this, Mirjana says to mankind: “Convert yourselves as quickly as possible. Open your hearts to God.”
Nowadays Medjugorje is the most visited Catholic Place on earth, Despite government attempts to discredit the apparitions and to make visits to the site difficult, millions have been and continue to come to the site to see for themselves what is happening. During the communist hera , the visionaries have been persecuted and tested all sort of physical and psychological exams.
Supernatural Phoenomena –
Many extraordinary phenomena, many involving this huge cement cross high on a mountain behind the church, have been and continue to be seen in Medjugorje. For example, in August, 1981, the Croatian word “Mir” which means “peace” was written in the sky at night above the large cross on the hill of Medjugorje. Many people from surrounding villages, including the parish priest saw it. The sun has frequently been observed to do miraculous things at Medjugorje – like pulsate, spin, change into a white disc, shone a rainbow of colors. At times, too, the cross on the top of the mountain behind the church has been seen to spin or disappear. Occasionally, the silhouette of Our Lady has been observed at the foot of the cross at night. The Blessed Virgin has said that these signs are intended to validate the authenticity of the apparitions and highlight the urgency of the message.
Medjugorje is a place of convertion, spiritual and physical healing, Mother Mary is calling us back to God, Innumerable witnesses say that, precisely in this place, they have found faith and peace.
The Blessed Mother also wants us to know She is here for everyone. We cannot judge anyone for their religious beliefs, race, creed and background because God is God to all mankind, all living creatures great and small. Mankind has chosen divisibility – not God. Jesus is for all of us. That’s why Blessed Mother has asked that we pray for those lost souls in purgatory
. The Blessed Mother asks us to fast on bread and water every Friday (and Wednesdays if you can) and reconcile yourself with God at least once a month in confession.
Thanks Mother mary for coming to us!!!
“Blessed are You among women, and blessed is the Child You will bear! 43 But why am I so favored, that the mother of my Lord should come to me?